Sunday 24 April 2011

Happy Campers

A little while ago I took up the challenge, packed a bag and went hiking on Wilson's Promentary, three hours out of Melbourne. I've never undertaken anything quite like it: this was hiking of the 'if you can't carry it, you can't bring it' kind. For three days we scrambled up and down hillsides, fought off march flies, swam in beautiful crystal waters and traversed dramatic landscapes. Each night, tired and satisfied, we set up camp and slept under the stars.





It was thrillingly exhausting, sensationally romantic and endlessly fascinating. Every morning we set out early in the fresh morning air with aching muscles, ready for the next challenge. There was only one problem. No wait, two... First: I'm not a morning person. Second: I had no makeup to hide it.

So what do you do when you don't have mirrors, cleaning is not really big on the agenda (if it's there at all) and you have to carry everything you eat, wear and put on your face? First, relax. When the white sand and waves are calling, potential eye bags don't really seem so important after all. Despite this, my inner glamourista couldn't resist spiriting away a couple of light-weight beauty essentials. I figure that these handy little gems go just as well in the rucksack as in handbag.


This is a beautifully creamy tinted broad spectrum sunscreen, which provides sheer coverage in two different tones. I'm a huge fan of a good sunscreen, so this one gets a big thumbs up. As an added bonus, you can now buy the tester-sized tube at the supermarket (I picked mine up from Woolworths). The formulation spreads on smoothly and requires a bit of rubbing in, but once it sets it has a lovely smooth, dewy texture. I have oily skin and didn't find the creaminess of the sunscreen a problem, even once the heat of the day had set in. Only one cautionary note: it's not safe to go into the water. Not because of sharks; this little baby just ain't waterproof unfortunately.

The NP Set range is Napoleon Perdis's diffusion range, sold through Target. For some reason, I've never been much of a fan of the Napoleon range (perhaps because the only products I've ever bought from the range were an acid green, pearlescent nail polish and an iridescent eye powder when I was about 17- and as a result I have associated the label with teenage dress-ups ever since). However, I was lazily browsing for a bargain one day when I found this little beauty. I'm peachy-keen for the beautiful coral colour and the easy roll-up chubby-stick packaging. I use it for a subtle hint of natural-looking blush on cheeks and lips.

3. Eyelash tint
OK, OK: maybe this one is more for the Saint Tropez holiday than the camping holiday. However, if you're a compulsive mascara wearer, a bit of pre-holiday preparation in the form of semi-permanent eyelash tinting may help to put you at ease. For a cheaper option, try an at-home tinting kit from the chemist (warning: not for the faint-hearted - it can sting!!)



And last but not least: sun, surf, exercise and good company. It does wonders for the complexion darling.

No comments:

Post a Comment