Wednesday 15 June 2011

It's all good!!


This weekend I went on a relaxing trip to the country with some friends. Between visiting wineries, cooking, reading and sleeping, we happened to start talking about sunscreen.

A bit of background about me and sunscreen: I am a sun protection fanatic. It is absolutely essential for anti-ageing, especially when you use a chemical exfoliant such as AHA or retinol as part of your beauty routine. However, my well-educated friend happened to mention that chemical sunscreens may not be as beneficial as they seem. As far as I'm concerned, the jury is still out on this one (especially since it is a topic covered by the likes of fear-mongering TodayTonight) - however it did make me reconsider my sunscreen choices.

The next day, in what was an exceptional stroke of luck, I happened past an organic supermarket. In my newly-aware (and paranoid?) state, I screeched to a halt and set off looking for a 'healthy' sunscreen. The only one left on the shelf was called 'UV natural sunscreen'. There were no testers, but with the enticing statement of 'it's all good!!' on the packaging, I felt I'd found my product. Sold.

I got it home in an excited flurry and gave it a whirl. It is a pale pinky-white cream with a subtly strange (although not unpleasant smell). Unfragranced is OK with me, so I kept going. I put some on. Thick...Greasy...Hmmm. Not going so well at first blush. But I persevered. It took a little while before I could put on my bronzer (the bristles of my makeup brush were sticking to the sunscreen) but I used the time to do something healthy like morning yoga. By the time I got out of the house the sunscreen had well and truly sunk in and I was feeling ridiculously virtuous. And here is the kicker kids....It didn't become greasy. All day. Once the sunscreen had dried, my skin stayed matte for hours, which is some kind of miracle.

I have gone through many, many sunscreens: the ones with beautiful packaging, amazing claims, and big brand names. However it was the funny little Aussie one that won my heart - and you know that it's good for you to boot.

Here's the lowdown (just so you'll be enticed to go out and find some for yourself):

  • Utilises zinc oxide as a physical sunscreen
  • Natural ingredients
  • Contains lots of great antioxidants like grapeseed oil, natural vitamin E, green tea extract and grape seed extract
  • Super moisturising and non-greasy (after a bit of time!)
  • A little bit goes a long way

No comments:

Post a Comment