Saturday 7 January 2012

Duck boots: hot or not?

News just in (ish) from the US...

A cosy, utilitarian (and somewhat awkward) boot that's been kicking around for ages has now become the footwear of choice for young hipsters.

...Sound familiar?..

No, I'm not talking about the old ugg boot. This is the duck boot.



I understand that these unusual shoes were traditionally used for slushing through water on duck hunts, shovelling snow or protecting against whatever cold, dirty pursuit you felt like following. Dad-types have apparently worn them for their external pursuits over last century or so, quite unnoticed and undisturbed.

I admit that I was momentarily tempted by these kinda cute yet also warm and waterproof novelties. However, sans the context of lovable dads, snow and generally just super-uncoolness, I have a sneaking suspicion that Australians won't quite get the irony. I'll be left going about my business looking like a crazed and quirkily awkward duck killer, out shopping for the day.

However, I'm not one to turn up a cute boot, so I may just have to explore the very sweet (and deliciously cosy-looking) Asos version instead.
...Don't say that I didn't warn you...



No comments:

Post a Comment