Sunday 8 January 2012

Librarian chic: $30,000 for a library sciences degree - OR just $7 for these removable collars!

Christmas has come and gone, leaving some bad habits lingering in its wake. For me, these are over-eating, and over-shopping.

Realistically, I'm quite happy to indulge in both for as long as possible. However, with my wallet left dry after all the festivities, shopping is not really on the menu. In desperation (and leaning very heavily on Refinery 29 for inspiration), I've been pursuing other, DIY methods of satisfying my consumer itch. Ta Daaaa!!! Removable collars:


Studies show that removable collars and glasses make you smarter. Look - I can now read French!!
(Red collar with vintage brooch / Weekdays shirt)
Just what you've been looking for in 2012: it's cowgirl-biker chic for cocktail hour!
( Black collar with studs / 'Exhibitionist' lipstick by Chi Chi (with gloss) / vintage velvet bodice)
Refinery 29 has provided comprehensive instructions on the whole process (see link above). However, I'm not a big fan of reading instructions, so I just waded right in and cut the collars off unwanted men's shirts. It's really easy to detach the collar by cutting it off at the seam with sharp scissors, ensuring that the edges are smooth. For the black collar, above, I found some metal scrapbooking studs at Lincraft for about $7, which worked perfectly. Next up?...Glitter collars and world domination!!

No comments:

Post a Comment