Wednesday 29 February 2012

Skin detox: saying yes to less

Caught without brightening balm? Sans serum? Or stuck overnight without under-eye cream?
Don't panic. A lack of product doesn't always have to be a problem.

By the time that I get through all of these anti-ageing products, I'll be 60


Faced with a myriad of products for a myriad of problems, and the inevitable evolution of multi-step skincare systems, I often feel as though a simple moisturiser isn't enough. However, most nights the though of all those steps after a long day is off-putting, when it's more than enough just to take my contacts out. Putting aside the fact that I probably need more sleep and free time, I started to wonder if perhaps giving my skin a break wasn't such a bad thing. In fact, as the bf (who has lovely skin and barely puts a thing on it) pointed out - why shouldn't our skin do its job faultlessly? Sure, everyone wants to stave off wrinkles for as long as possible and keep their skin soft. But aside from that, there's really no reason why our skin shouldn't function as well as any other organ - many of which toil away unseen and unheeded.

With that it mind, I decided to give abstinence a go. For as long as I possibly could,  I avoided over-cleansing, applying serums or moisturisers - and even eschewed my beloved sunscreen in favour of a hat. I applied only the barest of moisturiser, makeup and product. I kept it away from my cheeks altogether, which had been breaking-out. After just a few days of applying moisuriser only where my skin felt dry, I found that those pesky little spots on my cheeks cleared up and my skin looked great.

There's no doubt that old habits die hard - and I'll be back to my compulsive 'exfoliating-brightening-anti-age-20-step-system-to-fight-the-50-signs-of-ageing' soon. Until then, the extra sleep is doing me wonders!

No comments:

Post a Comment